Thursday, April 7, 2011

chapter 1 a town called faded gray episode: 3

"you know that it is not wise to say these things but I don't understand why" Samuel said his face clearly admitting that his sentence was much less crafted then he had intended.
"I mean you know that speaking, for instance, of this" Samuel  said then motioning behind him at the red dawn and the shafts of beautiful crimson and scarlet shining as much as it could through the oppressive gray. "speaking of this with the genuine love for it as you know I have, its dangerous. I don't understand why!" Samuel said much louder then he had intended. his teacher's eyes widened.
"Samuel I will not condemn you for what you have just said, in fact I refuse to." he said in desperate and quick words. He lowered his eyes for away from Samuel for a moment.
"I'm proud of you for asking a question most in this town have never thought to ask and one I've never had the courage to say out loud but Samuel" the old teacher paused for a moment and with eyes that Samuel would always remember from that moment. his eyes so full of concern and love that seemed to burn a hole through him until seemed like there shouldn't be anything left.
"Samuel... " he continued. "you have condemned us both" Samuel's heart beat faster then he had ever felt before. his face though no one could see became pale. every muscle in samuel's body seemed to be in rebellion. his hands shook but his feet were made of cement and when he attempted to speak to say anything to seek any kind of repeal, comfort, or explanation all that came out of his mouth was a series of coughs and spastic sputters that seemed to only convey what his teacher couldn't see on his terrified face.
"what exactly do you mean I have condemned us both" he finally managed to say
"you know, Samuel"
"Just because I said I don't know why it is dangerous to love color"
"Samuel... asking why is asking for a hurricane we will never see coming. I meant what I said though, I'm proud of you."
"for condemning you?"
"No because your about to run like the wind and I'm right behind you!" he said showing no evidence of a joke. He put his hand forward to indicate that I start and lead the way as someone my do if they had opened a door for someone and was insisting they go first but he did so with an urgency that couldn't be refused. I had no intention on refusing the old school master but where was supposed to go? I would have faced a thousand fears if at that moment my old friend could see how lost I was and perhaps lead the way, but he couldn't see my face and I couldn't put a burden on him that was mine to carry.

 I had to figure this out. I had decide what we were going to do. I turned around and I saw what the towns people at the market had been staring at. I had assumed they had been staring at me and my teacher shouting sedition in the street. I was wrong, to my horror and delight the town hall's doors that had earlier let out a small wisp of purple had now burst. purple had flooded into the air, around town hall and was still pouring out of the great doors. 

It seems to good to be true. whoever or what ever would make us fade or disappear had the biggest diversion I could ever have hopped for. I form the beginnings of a plan woven from insanity. I nodded to my teacher and sprinted straight for the edge of the town. making sure I kept a pace old friend could fallow I made a sharp turn down an adjacent street that took me straight onto the grounds surrounding town hall. We sprinted as hard as we could when we get to the edge of the amorphous purple cloud that had by this time nearly engulfed the titanic building. we stopped and caught our breath for a moment. I looked over at my teacher and see very clearly that my teacher wasn't sure what I had planned but was both uneasy and unwavering. unsure myself I motioned for my teacher to fallow me as I stepped into the purple.

I saw only a solid blanket of purple with no texture or variance. I felt as though my eyes would suffocate under the strain. I heard the soft footsteps of my teacher as he fallowed me into the cloud.
"can you see anything?" I asked
"I can see a field and a gray sky with the red still shining through."
"what about the town hall?" the moment I ask I realize the answer. He can't see the building because he can't see purple! 
"we are both as good as blind in here."
"don't be so fast to evaluate this decision as a failure I can't see the building but I can see everything surrounding us and if I'm not mistaken not only can they not see us but I doubt that what or who it is that will come for us will come for us in here. we can rest and think through this situation and the best route to safety"
"makes sense I suppose" I said, I breathed in deeply and sat on the ground
"what are your thoughts? you have studied maps of this town under my directions. I made sure that you knew it as well as I did."
"so we are leaving faded gray?" I asked knowing the answer but to uncertain of myself to accept it.
"you know we have to leave"
"I know... I know..." I sighed. my teacher paced for a moment, I couldn't see him but I could hear his footsteps come closer pause and get further away and pause and return repeating a few times. I thought for a few moments and came to the only conclusion I could think of
   

No comments:

Post a Comment